Keith Mitnik has taken part in well over 100 trials throughout his career. Among these trials are a number of landmark victories against major companies, classic “David and Goliath” moments that underscore Mr. Mitnik’s skills as a persuasive litigator, even when faced against the most powerful corporations’ legal teams.
Some of the most high-profile cases that Mr. Mitnik has helped to win for his clients include:
- Townsend v. R.J. Reynolds — $90.2 Million awarded to Lyantie Townsend in a successful suit against U.S. cigarette giant R.J. Reynolds Tobacco after her husband, who had been a smoker since the age of 13, died of lung cancer. This was the 7th largest verdict in America for 2010.
- Price v. R.J. Reynolds — $6.4 Million awarded to Ann Price in another successful case against R.J. Reynolds Tobacco, after her husband, who had been addicted to cigarettes since the age of 16, died of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.
- Van Zyl v. Fain — $18.8 Million awarded to Deon Van Zyl, a young man whose life was upended when a negligent driver cut him off. The crash rendered him wheelchair-bound for life.
- Brink v. Ruiz — $25 Million awarded to the victim of a motorcycle injury, who suffered a serious brain injury following a crash.
- Action Products v. Lung Cheong — $5.1 Million awarded to an American toy company, Action Products, after a large Hong Kong toy manufacturer cheated the company in a major business deal.
- Rausin v. Rodgers — $12 Million awarded to the family of a 13-year-old girl who was rendered paraplegic after her grandparents’ car was rear-ended by a reckless driver on Thanksgiving Day.
|Date||Case Name||Case Type||Pre-Trial Offer||Verdict|
|Feb. 2004||Benson v. Memorial Hosp.||Medical Malpractice||$0||$1 Million|
|Sep. 2005||McGregor v. Commercial Carrier||Auto Accident||$30,000||$1.3 Million|
|Oct. 2005||Scott v. Jewett Ortho.||Medical Malpractice||$0||$1.5 Million|
|Aug. 2006||Addison v. Perez||Medical Malpractice||$0||$3.3 Million|
|Oct. 2006||Action Products v. Lung Cheoung Int’l Holding||Commercial Contingency Fee||$50,000||$5.1 Million|
|Nov. 2007||McKernan v. Hollieanna Groves||Auto Accident||$0||$1.7 Million|
|Feb. 2008||Isham v. City of Ft. Lauderdale||Police Chase Case/Auto Accident||$90,000||$2 Million|
|Apr. 2008||Gibson v. Nationwide||Auto Accident||$60,000||$1 Million|
|Nov. 2008||Brown v. Sumter Co.||Auto Accident||$100,500||$2.9 Million|
|Feb. 2009||Rausin v. Rogers||Auto Accident||$25,000||$13 Million|
|May 2009||Bryan v. Hanson||Motorcycle Accident||$10,000||$4 Million|
|Dec. 2009||Florian v. Rojen||Auto Accident||$0||$1.1 Million|
|Apr. 2010||Townsend v. RJ Reynolds||Tobacco||$500||$90 Million|
|May 2010||Hobbs v. Adams||Motorcycle Accident||$0||$1.3 Million|
|Jan. 2011||VanZyl v. Kincaid||Motorcycle Accident||$0||$18.8 Million|
|Feb. 2011||Walker v. Sanchez||Auto Accident||$10,000||$3 Million|
|Apr. 2011||Allen (I) v. RJ Reynolds||Tobacco||$10,500||$40 Million|
|Feb. 2013||Wabnitz v. Sider||Medical Malpractice||$0||$1 Million|
|Mar. 2013||Brink v. Santos||Motorcycle Accident||$10,000||$26 Million|
|Feb. 2014||Goveia v. RJ Reynolds & Philip Morris||Tobacco||$25,000||$4.5 Million|
|Jul. 2014||Good Gateway v. Thakkar, et al||Commercial Contingency||$0||$14.5 Million|
|Nov. 2014||Allen (II) v. RJ Reynolds & Philip Morris||Tobacco||$25,000||$18.2 Million|
|Nov. 2014||Billingham v. Scott||Auto Accident||$150,000||$2.2 Million|